32 to 64 upgrade notion

Hi,
I'd like some advice please. I've been using Debian for a few years now. I am making a production iptables firewall, squid proxy, ftp, openvpn server. For this box I am thinking about using amd64 cpu and installing debian sarge 32 bit with the notion that in a year or so the Debian amd64 will be available with security updates and officially not beta but production also and that then I can upgrade to 64 bit Debian.

First is this a good strategy? Are there drawbacks? Am I taking a performance hit using 32 bit Debian on 64 bit amd for this type of server?

Thanks,
Craig Jackson