Re: 32 to 64 upgrade notion

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:32:37PM -0600, Craig Jackson wrote:
First is this a good strategy? Are there drawbacks? Am I taking a

Hm, I'm not sure.
Until the amd64 port will be accepted into Debian *and* Debian will
release a stable version (what you need for security support), it will
take a long time. Not this year.

You can't update from 32bit to 64bit. You have to reinstall the whole
system.

So considering you have to wait at least a year for a stable Debian
amd64 release, I'm not sure you should use a amd64 now.

You doesn't seem to run CPU heavy application. So maybe a cheaper
system would be sufficient?

And then there is a stable Debian amd64 release, you can switch if you
wish. Then the hardware is cheaper too.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--