Re: 32 to 64 upgrade notion

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19: 32:37 -0600, Craig Jackson wrote:

Hi Craig Jackson,

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:32:37 -0600, Craig Jackson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like some advice please. I've been using Debian for a few years now.
> I am making a production iptables firewall, squid proxy, ftp, openvpn
> server. For this box I am thinking about using amd64 cpu and installing
> debian sarge 32 bit with the notion that in a year or so the Debian
> amd64 will be available with security updates and officially not beta
> but production also and that then I can upgrade to 64 bit Debian.
>
> First is this a good strategy?

Yes.

> Are there drawbacks? Am I taking a performance hit using 32 bit Debian
> on 64 bit amd for this type of server?

There is probably a small performance hit remaining with 32-bit for most
applications that are not too pointer heavy. But who cares! The AMD64 box
will be faster than your previous systems of a few years ago.

In fact AMD64-based systems are typically the fastest IA32 compatible
computers you can buy today.

Regards,
Adam