Sarge AMD64 install problems with Adaptec 7902 controller

Very similar to the below, I'm trying to install AMD64 sarge via
sarge-amd64-netinst.iso on a system and when I get to the partition
section of the installer it fails to detect my disks.  Per the below
posting on the standard debian list, I simply pressed enter on the
initial boot screen to no avail.  I'm assuming this is because the 2.4
kernel isn't used in the amd64 iso I'm using.  Has anyone found a
resolution to this problem for an AMD64 installation?

-sam

## From regular debian list ##

On Thursday 04 November 2004 09:41 am, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install sarge on a HP Workstation with a Seagate SCSI
> disk on an Adaptec 7902 Ultra 320 SCSI adapter. However, the installer
> fails to detect the hard disk at all. There was no such problem when
> installing Redhat 9. Redhat loads the module aic79xx.o before the
> install program begins. During sarge install, lsmod shows that the
> module aic79xx.o is loaded, but still the hard disk is not detected. I
> am stuck as to what is to be done. Any pointers would be greatly
> helpful.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Raj Kiran

I believe there is a bug in the aic79xx.o module for kernel-image-2.6.8-1.  I
assumed you tried to use linux26 during the sarge install.  You can use the
2.4 series kernel during the install.  At the boot: just hit the enter key or
manually type linux and it will install a 2.4.27 kernel.

2.6.9 kernel was just uploaded into unstable.  You can try installing that
kernel once your initial install with a 2.4 kernel is done.

John