Building a RAID system

Hello all,

I'm new to the raid thing in linux (and fairly new to linux also). My router for the last year or so has been a old PIII 600MHz running slackware... Anyway, after doing some research I decided to build a home-theater PC using an Athlon 64 3200+ with pure64 as a base. I purchased an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (939pin deal) and I've got it currently installing (about 12% now), man it's slow. Getting to my point, I want to run a RAID1 (mirrored) array on my two SATA 250GB drives... I turned raid on in the bios for the two channels that I have the hard drives hooked up to but when I got to the partitioning section of the installation I was confused. The only way I could figure out how to get the raid going was to use the "software raid" function in the partition menu.

Here's what I did, let me know if you see anything wrong with it.

1. Initialized the disks with a single partition, the size of the drive
2. Made the partition types on both drives "for linux RAID" option
3. Then iniatilized a multi-disk RAID1 array on the two partitions I set up for RAID
4. On the new RAID1 partition I created the root partition (/)

Then finished and it's installing now... (about 15%, yay).

Was I correct in setting this up as a software raid? Does the Nvidia chipset thingie take care of the raid or is it supposed to be a software thing? Could someone learn me the ways of raid?

Thanks for all your help!

-Greg
P.S. Sheesh, this install is taking a while, I'm at 1.5Mbit and it looks like it's gonna be a few hours for the download/install... is that about par?