putting together pure64 and the 32bit chroot...

I am in the process of installing a full-fledged pure64 scientific workstation with a similarly full-fledged 32 bit installation in a chroot. This is because this computer is replacing a pre-existent 32 bit workstation, and I want users to have available everything they previously had available in 32 bit versions. Apart from the obvious waste of disk space, I did not find major problems. I do have a few overall questions/problems as to how to make the 64 bit and 32 bit systems to behave as consistently as possible, i.e.:

1) Which filesystems ought to be bind-mounted in the chroot? /home, /tmp, /var/tmp are quite obvious, but what about /var/mail? Configuration files in /etc?

2) (related to 1) In many cases, a system user and/or group is created upon installation of a package. These will obviously happen to be different between the chroot and the pure64 system. Should /etc/passwd, /etc/group etc. be shared between the pure64 and ia32 systems? Any problems to be expected in this case? Or should I compare the uids/gids in the chroot to the ones in the pure64 system and get them to agree by hand, using something like find to locate and change file ownerships accordingly?

3) I suppose (hope?) I am not the first to do something like this. People who went through it already (and survived): hints, suggestions?

Thanks, bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)