amd64 / x86-64 as i386?

Hey all!

Sorry about me coming with this stuped question, but I have browsed the documentation for the amd64 port but did not find a complete answer. I will be ordering a new system in couple of days time and through a local reseller I got a _really_ good offer on an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ CPU. Almost too good to resist...

Anyway, I want to run Debian (testing or unstable) on the final machine and I did not not even come to think of the fact that the CPU has a 64-bit architecture until now! So, is it possible to run the i386 "version" of testing or unstable on this particular CPU or will I be limited to the amd64 port?

I googled on the matter and all I found was some outdated posts about Athlon 64's segfaulting on basically everything... Is this still the case?

Does anyone have any experience on running Debian on this CPU? I'd _really_ appreciate any pointers. Again, sorry about the level of this question =)

//d.