Re: "rock solid" motherboard

Hank Barta wrote:

I have an ABIT AV8 (v1.1) The LAN driver did not load so I put in a
RealTek card and moved on. Sound on the motherboard works fine.

I do have RAM issues in that I have to run the RAM at DDR333 instead
of DDR400 (for which it is speced) and this board is known to be
sensitive to the quality of the RAM. (I think that means that not all
RAM will work at advertised rates. ;) But at DDR333 the system is rock
solid.

I have an Abit KV8-MAX3. I had a similar issue with the RAM. After doing some research I came up with the explaination for my issue. The Athlon 64 [at least the version I have, 2800+] is designed only allow the DDR400 on a single ram slot. But if you have more than 1 stick of ram, you need to drop it down to DDR333. I don't know if newer boards have gotten around this limitation or what. I was kind of bummed since if I had known that, I'd have just bought a single stick instead of the two smaller ones I have.

With that said, this system is rock solid at DDR333 with everything I've thrown at it, with the minor exception that the amd64 port of FreeBSD has some problems with the NIC. It works, but there are issues.

DT