Re: "rock solid" motherboard

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:55:18PM -0600, doubletwist wrote:
> I have an Abit KV8-MAX3. I had a similar issue with the RAM. After doing
> some research I came up with the explaination for my issue. The Athlon
> 64 [at least the version I have, 2800+] is designed only allow the
> DDR400 on a single ram slot. But if you have more than 1 stick of ram,
> you need to drop it down to DDR333. I don't know if newer boards have
> gotten around this limitation or what.
> I was kind of bummed since if I had known that, I'd have just bought a
> single stick instead of the two smaller ones I have.
>
> With that said, this system is rock solid at DDR333 with everything I've
> thrown at it, with the minor exception that the amd64 port of FreeBSD
> has some problems with the NIC. It works, but there are issues.

Hmm, the boards I have looked at from Asus always had this setup:

Socekt 939:
4 slots populated in pairs for dual channel, with DDR400 in all slots.

Socket 754:
3 slots populated one at a time, DDR400 up to two slots, DDR333 for
three slots.

Maybe other boards are different, or you are using a lower quality ram
than the board expects.  Or maybe I have misunderstood the specs I have
read.