Re: amd64 / x86-64 as i386? [Going OT]

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 22:26, Didde Brockman wrote:
> Thanks for all your answers. It's good to hear that I won't be
> "limited" to a specific port.
>
> Just one more question; is this particular CPU not used to its fullest
> extent while running the i386 port? What I mean is to ask if the Athlon
> 64's are good 32-bit processors or if I'd be utilizing it poorly not
> running the amd64 port. Perhaps a dumb question, but I hope you get my
> point.

Yes and no.

Yes, because obviously the x86-64 extentions add quite a bit to the old x86
arch which you will miss out. For the normal user, the 64bit extentions
themselfs are actually not the most important part of this cpu. These you
will in fact  rarely need.  But, you will miss out the extra registers which
the traditional x86 arch badly misses.

But No, because this cpu adds an onboard memory controler which is just as
active when running in x86 mode, As will Hypertransport. These other
extentions make this cpu just as worth while when running in 32 bits mode.

Don't worry, the amd64 will run your 386 soft at least as fast but usually
faster than  it would be running on a AMD XP with same clock speed.

> Thanks again for your help. People on the Debian mailinglists are
> probably the most helpful ones around  =)

Getting slimy there ;o)

Ernest.