Re: amd64 buildd

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:01:02AM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> I've never setup a buildd for the project before -- what is involved?
> Surely there must be some sort of required administrative coordination
> with the archive maintainers, etc.?  What are the obstacles in the way
> of the old buildds?

Setting up the buildd is not the thing holding up amd64. It's (i) the
sarge release, which will happen before everything else, (ii)
restructuring the mirrors to allow for easier fine-grained mirroring of
selected parts of the archive (mostly done), (iii) getting amd64 in a
shape that it's suitable as a port (i.e. the toolchain working reliably
without manual intervention, no idea of the status or whether this is
even an issue) and (iv) the ftp-masters actually adding amd64 as a port
to the archive.

When those three steps are met, setting up a buildd is almost trivial
and the necessary hardware is avaiable. Of course, fixing all the bugs
resulting from autobuilding stuff is another matter...

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer