Re: amd64 buildd

Greetings, and thanks for looking into this.

Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 04:09:52PM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings, and thanks!  I'm mostly interested in making sure
> > gcl/maxima/acl2/axiom work in 64bit amd64.  The question arose as
> > recent gcl development broke the amd64 port without anyone noticing
> > until some considerable time had passed, making it hard to track
> > down.
>
> dpkg-source: extracting gcl in gcl-2.6.1
> dpkg-buildpackage: source package is gcl
> dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 2.6.1-33
> dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com>
> dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is amd64
>  debian/rules clean
> rm -f ${debian/control.rm%.rm}
> /bin/sh: Syntax error: Bad substitution
>
> (Wish dash it stops at this point, with bash it goes on.)

Do you need to use dash?

> Then it fails with this:
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gcl-2.6.1/gcl-tk'
> (cd demos ; \
> echo '(load "../tkl.o")(TK::GET-AUTOLOADS (directory "*.lisp"))'
> | ../../unixport/saved_gcl)
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.1 CLtL1   Apr 14 2004 22:32:25
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD
> UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible
> license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

I just fixed this in -37, (-36 is last uploaded into Debian), with
help from pergolesi.  I'm planning a new upload soon, waiting for a
few other items, and hope to call this 2.6.2.

> Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]
> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by EVAL.
> Broken at LOAD.  Type :H for Help.
> TK>>
> Error: The function GET-AUTOLOADS is undefined.
> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by EVALHOOK.
> Backtrace: system:universal-error-handler > EVALHOOK
>
> Broken at LOAD.
> TK>>make[2]: *** [all] Error 255
>
> Please let me know if I can help debug this.

What I'm unclear of is that amd64 appears to be alone in actually
requiring pages containing executable code to be mprotected
|=PROT_EXEC.  This is now done by default on startup for all
architectures.

> There is a "debian/control." file?  And it's identical to the
> control file?

Same debian/ dir builds both gcl and gclcvs packages.  control files
are mangled by rules.

> Btw: It there a reason it forced -m64?  It shouldn't need that.

configure autodetects amd64 and builds 64bit.  Is this not the right
way to do this?  64bit is much referred for lisp based programs like
these -- likely the chief reason people would buy an amd64 to start
with.

> It also seems you need to change your Build-Depends in maxima and
> axiom.  There shouldn't be a space between the "(" and the ">=" it seems.

Does this foil the parser?  I thought it worked correctly.

> > Any idea of when the buildd will come back?i
>
> I hope soon.

Hmm.  Wish I had a machine to setup :-).

Take care,