Re: AMD64 gcc-3.4/gcc-4.0 archive

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:57:49PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Many packages in the gcc-3.4 archive have already been compiled with
> gcc-4.0. In my own archive, I have compiled about 95% of the packages
> with gcc-4.0. Of course a few more minor patches will be necessary,
> but I did not find any serious issues with gcc-4.0 so far.

I have tried gcc 4.0 (on x86) and on the first try I have found a wrong
optimisation bug with -O1 and up (bug #280972). Luckily the program
failed the test-suite so it was easy to spot.

So be careful, packages might build fine with gcc-4.0 but be subtly
broken since most packages do not run test-suites.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.