Re: Recommedn AMD64 machine for Debian

Op vrijdag 10 december 2004 16:16, schreef Lennart Sorensen:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 09:03:10AM -0600, Michael Madden wrote:
> > Has anyone had success with a certain machine using Debian for AMD64.  We
> > have a wealth of experience using Dell and HP workstations, but neither
> > of them offer an AMD64 option.  If I cannot get a prebuilt machine from
> > someone like Dell or HP, what type of motherboard and peripherals
> > (SCSI/IDE/SATA hard drive, network card, sound card, video card,
> > DVD burner, etc) would you recommend setting up?
>
> Well my personal plan is to sometime in the next couple of month get:
> Asus nForce4 motherboard socket 939
> nVidia video card
> appropriate athlon64 cpu
> 1GB dual channel ram (DDR400 unless DDR2 somehow takes off amazingly
> fast)
> Plextor DVD writer
> WD SATA drive.
>
> I will probably reuse my sb live platinum sound card or get an audigy,
> or put up with the onboard audio.  Onboard ethernet and firewire and
> such should all be fine.
>
> So I hope once those parts are all released, they will work, although I
> would be surprised if they didn't.
>
> Len Sorensen
I have two Gigabyte K8 Triton (GA-K8VT800) and Debian-amd64 is running without
the slightest problem.Before I used an MSI Neo board with via chipset and it
was a huge disaster:there was always something not
working,keyboard,mouse,network. I can absolutely not agree with the reviews
in various magazines,LXF included.
With the gigas everything works:built-in network,extra Terratec Aureon
soundcard,ATI 9600 video,SCSI-card and Umax SCSI-scanner,USB mouse,keyboard
and Wacom graphic tablet,all this right out of the box with minimal
configuration.