Making my desicion between 64bits and 32bits.

Hi!

So, I have just this question: What would be good on a 64bits system over
a 32bits one? Ok, I got a Athlon 64 (finally), but now I'm just asking
myself: Will the time an effort of installing a 64bits system serve of
anything else than telling my friends that I have one?, please note that I
use this computer as my desktop computer, so I will run there:
openoffice.org, firefox with plugins (specially flash), doom3 (wich
somebody told me that will run in pure64 without problems), and 32bits
versions of: mplayer and maybe transcode (if it happends to be slower in
the 64bits native system).

My guess is that the 64bits binaries (besides being larger), should be
faster (at least a little faster), is this true?  I have read about other
programs (mplayer, transcode) that run slower, due to problems with the
optimizations (mmx, sse, 3dnow) not working.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ildefonso.