Re: Making my desicion between 64bits and 32bits.

 icamargo> Hi! So, I have just this question: What would be good on a
 icamargo> 64bits system over a 32bits one? Ok, I got a Athlon 64
 icamargo> (finally), but now I'm just asking myself: Will the time an
 icamargo> effort of installing a 64bits system serve of anything else
 icamargo> than telling my friends that I have one?, please note that
 icamargo> I use this computer as my desktop computer, so I will run
 icamargo> there: openoffice.org, firefox with plugins (specially
 icamargo> flash), doom3 (wich somebody told me that will run in
 icamargo> pure64 without problems), and 32bits versions of: mplayer
 icamargo> and maybe transcode (if it happends to be slower in the
 icamargo> 64bits native system).

Probably won't make any difference. Besides the fact I don't play doom
my requirements are very similiar. I guess the reason I went 64 bits
is because I have used alphas for years and this was a natural
transition. Looks like the alpha line is dead. The second reason is
that it can be done, and that was good enough for me. However, for the
average desktop user 64 bit does not give much. I run 32 bit and 64
bit debian and it feels about the same. I have come to the point where
I don't even boot into the 32 bit anymore. VMware was the only thing
holding me back and that is running well under amd64 now. Yes, I have
to use windows in order to login on the work vpn and work has a stupid
windows client.

 icamargo> My guess is that the 64bits binaries (besides being
 icamargo> larger), should be faster (at least a little faster), is
 icamargo> this true? I have read about other programs (mplayer,
 icamargo> transcode) that run slower, due to problems with the
 icamargo> optimizations (mmx, sse, 3dnow) not working.

This is very true, and you hit the nail on the head. Just because it
is compiled 64 bits does not mean it is faster. Still needs to be
optimized. The more folks start using 64 bit stuff the sooner this
will happen.

Go 64 bit and ask questions later. My 2 cents I think this port is
stable enough to use in production environment, but I personally would
not do that until sarge is released offically. That is my opinion.

Later,

Alan