Re: AMD64 mainboard with X-PCI ?

You are correct.

PCI-X is NOT PCI-Express.

PCI-X is an extention of PCI.

PCI-X is backwards compatible with standard PCI provided the expansion card can accomodate both 5v and 3.3v signaling. This is a parallel "bus".

PCI-Express is a new I/O expansion technology based on a Serial P2P connection. They are not backwards compatible with standard PCI or PCI-X.

Many news sites have never seen a PCI-X slot and automatically use the PCI-X name to refer to PCI-Express. This is incorrect as the PCI-X name is already taken.

PCI-X is usually found on 2+ cpu motherboards for expansion purposes such as RAID controllers or Gigabit Ethernet controllers or anything else that requires more than 133mb/s of bandwidth. Its only recently that they've made a very minimal appearance on uniprocessor motherboards in the form of Socket 478 for P4, however not the A64. The reason for this is chipset.

Intel has the 6300ESB southbridge which has both a conventional PCI bus and a PCI-X 64-bit 66mhz bus. You can pair this southbridge up with the i875p for a great workstation board. On the A64 front, its either all desktop or all workstation/server. There is no uniprocessor A64 boards with PCI-X. The only Hypertransport->PCI-X tunnel chipset available at the moment is the AMD-8131/8132 which is currently found only on large EATX sized dual Opteron motherboards.

Ben