Re: AMD64 mainboard with X-PCI ?

In The Night wrote:

Ben Wang (benwang@synrax.com) wrote:
There won't be any A64 boards with more than PCI 32-bit 33mhz.
Wrong.

Snip from ananova:

VIA just launched their first reference boards using PCI Express on the Athlon 64. Later this month, we also expect new Athlon 64 chipsets from others that will add PCI Express capabilities to the Socket 939 platform. While these new chipsets could migrate later to Socket 754 single-channel, the new chipsets will launch with Socket 939. This will further push the 754 to the value side of the Athlon 64 line.

I am referring to PCI and its derivatives (64-bit PCI, PCI-X, etc). By more, I am referring to one of those derivatives and not PCI-Express. There is no doubt PCI-Express (which is not what is required here) will be available soon on the AMD platform.

Ben

This is a chipset limitation as all current chipsets only support PCI 32-bit 33mhz. I have never seen a 32-bit 66mhz slot (doesn't mean it doesn't exist but highly unlikely on the A64 platform), most of the 66mhz devices are connected to 64-bit slots.

Look for motherboards with the AMD-8131/8132 chipset but you'll most likely find them only on dual Opteron boards in EATX form factor.

Ben