Re: debian beginner is stuck....

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:29:51PM +0100, Andreas Russ wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am just trying to run Debian on my Shuttle AMD64 box. I've worked with
> most major distributions, but am new to Debian. A very positive
> experience with the new installer on a 32-bit box now made me try the 64.
> The base system installed perfectly via network (thanks to you all!),
> within a couple of minutes I was up and running. But how do I go beyond
> base to a graphical system? The 32-bit installer offered a choice, but
> 64 just left me on  my own.
> I am using Alioth sid main and its mirrors, but I have the feeling I am
> missing something here ;-)
> Any help would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

 1. Log in as root
 2. run apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-desktop-environment
 3. wait while a _ton_ of stuff installs :)
(or 2. run apt-get install x-window-system-core xterm fluxbox, for a lighter
weight desktop.  There's also a "kde" package that depends on everything kde
the same way gnome-desktop-environment does.  If you have them both, use
update-alternatives to set x-window-manager (or maybe x-session-manager) so
you get the session you want.)

Alternatively:
 2. run apt-get install aptitude
 3. run aptitude   (There are other front-ends to apt, including graphical
ones, but I like aptitude.)
 4. hit / to search, and find x-window-system-core.
    hit + to select it.
 5. find gnome-desktop-environment (or similar for kde), and pick the pieces
you want.  (you don't need every piece of gnome for a decent desktop, and
it's easier on the mirrors if you're not continually updating stuff you're
not using.  You can aptitude install anything whenever you want.)
 6. hit g to see what you're going to get.
 7. hit g to do it.
 (8.) don't ^z and then fg the install process.  Aptitude isn't smart enough
to not mess up the terminal settings. :(

 If you don't want to log in on a text console and run startx every time you
boot, you should install one of xdm, kdm, or gdm.  (Note that the *dm don't
source /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile for your X session, unless you hack
them.  Thus $PATH, $LESSOPEN, and so on won't be set right.  The ugly and
lame solution to this is to put everything in ~/.bashrc and
/etc/bash.bashrc...  (even making your xterms all run login shells won't
make PATH right for programs started from window manager menus. :(

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)