Re: newbie last try

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:22:01AM +0200, Thomas J. Zeeman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 1.  I am unable to have windows in option for boot-up in GRUB.  During
> [snip]
>
> This is an old bug I reported several months ago already. It is still not
> fixed.
> >From what I remember the installer for AMD64 does not have the necessary
> scripts to recognize a Windows partition on NTFS. The fix someone
> mentioned then was to use the same scripts for AMD64 as i386 already uses.
>
> You can alter the grub menu.lst file once you have the system installed.
> There is an example in the comments at the start.
>
> > 2.  When I finish installing the base system and bootloader and
> > reboot, I constantly have the same code consistently repeating in the
> > shell:
> >
> > nv_sata:  primary device added
> > nv_sata:  primary device removed
> > nv_sata:  secondary device added
> > nv_sata:  secondary device removed
> >
> > Thsi keeps going on throughout the rest of the install, when trying to
> > get apt-get working, to the point where I can't choose options or type
> > since this is continually running and bringing the screen down.
> > Horribly frustrating and irritating.  No other distributions I tried
> > had this problem, x86 or amd64.
>
> I remember seeing a post about this a few weeks ago. IIRC the poster
> finished the installation blind and set a few configs afterwards that
> fixed this. Check the archives from september for how and what he did.

 You should be able to change the console log level, so even if the kernel
is generating the messages, they don't show up on the screen.  ALT+SYSRQ+0
should set the log level so that you don't see anything.  Depending on what
priority those messages are logged at, ALT+SYSRQ+2 or 3 might be enough, and
still let critical messages show on the console.  See also setterm(1).

 If the installer kernel doesn't have sysrq support turned on, there's
some /proc stuff, I think.

 Also echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk_ratelimit might help.  echoing into
/proc is doable without any special tools, so you can do it from tty2 in the
installer even.  (And it tab-completes filenames :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)