Alsa not working in IA32 chroot

I want to play WM9 movies on my pure64 box so I installed 32 bit mplayer
with w32 codecs in a sid-ia32 chroot. Video is fine, but sound via alsa is
not:

alsa-init: got device=0, subdevice=0
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
alsa-init: playback open error: Invalid argument

It then falls back to alsa's OSS emulation which works, but won't output AC3
to S/PDIF.

Alsa works just fine in 64 bit mode. This is on MSI K8T Neo mainboard with
onboard VT8237 sound using snd_via82xx alsa module.

--
Koef.