Re: "GRUB loading" problem with AMD64 install

Eric Lacroix wrote:
Le mer 06/10/2004 à 18:33, Michael Vang a écrit :

I think it has something to do with the WD drive and the mobo... I have a small 6GB drive that works perfectly, and it is a Maxtor...

Don't you think it is related to the size of the partition only ?
What make you think it's an HD/Mobo problem ?

I have had weird problems with WD drives in the past, but I guess that isn't very scientific...

Check this out:

I forgot to mention that this A64 is new to me... I just built it this week... Anyways, when I had it finished I wanted to move my HD from my old box to the new one... I've done this hundreds of times and (unlike Windows) it usually works without a hitch... But, I got the Grub error! So it isn't just installing the Grub I don't think, because I booted that box a lot and Grub worked fine! The old box was an XP1800, and the HD had been swapped multiple times to a P3-600...

And check this out: I vaguely remember installing Ubuntu (default install) and it rebooted at the end, as expected... The system came up and it did all sorts of configuration stuff, then the system was up... I then apt-get updated and upgraded, and on the next boot it failed... I think I did this twice...

All told, I've installed (well, attempted mostly) Debian and Ubuntu close to 30 times in the last few days trying to find a common problem...

If there isn't a small partition at the front of the drive, and if I boot a Win98 boot floppy, it hangs... However, several of my other floppies will boot, such as my mprime floppy and my memtest86 floppy...

My guess is the Win98 floppy is "timing out" looking for a HD... Why I have no idea, but if I put a small partition in, the floppy works...

I'm running the 1004 BIOS... I had a hard time flashing the BIOS since I couldn't get the Win98 boot floppy to boot! Come to find out the K8V has a special mode to flash a BIOS without a boot disk...

I sure hope I can figure out what is wrong with this! I've torn the box down so many times... I've even swapped video cards from AGP to PCI thinking that might help... I read somewhere there was a bug on the K8V that caused it to have boot problems if the AGP aperture was set to 256MB...

I plan to try the 6GB disk out again tonight, just to make sure!

Mike (Xyzzy)