newbie tusing debian-installer

Whoever can help:

I'm definitely a newbie, just built my first custom-built computer,
and after Mandrakelinux failed to give me the control and driver
support I needed, I'm trying Debian GNU/Linux.  I tried the amd64
debian-installer (got the current net .iso from alioth) and at the
step where it tried to partition my hard drive, it says it couldn't
find a disk to partition and said to make sure I have a hard drive
installed.  I obviously do, see I currently have my dual boot-up of
windows xp and mandrakelinux working, so any help would be greatly
appreciated (remember, I'm an extreme newbie, so simple, dumbed-down
steps if possible).  Thank you so much in advance!

Ross

System:
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 Ultra Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX
Motherboard w/Audio, Dual LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor Socket 939 Retail
Western Digital Raptor serial ATA hard drive (74 GB, 10,000rpm)
eVGA GeForce 6800 AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card