Re: Do I need 64Bit if RAM is more than 4 GB?

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:44:32PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Segmentation allowed a smoother software upgrade for existing
> 8080 programs, whereas the 68000 is forward-thinking, a clean break
> with the 6809.
>
> From rom a business perspective, Intel's segmented method is better,
> but from a technical point, the 68K-way is better.

The business advantage of the 8086/8088 had little to do with the
segmented architecture and everything to do with being able to run
programs written for the 8080.

If the 68000 was able to run 6809 programs, it would have had a similar
business advantage -- even if it achieved this without "segments".

--
Raul