Re: Do I need 64Bit if RAM is more than 4 GB?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:29:09AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> I'd say "hack" is a strong word for PAE, which is just an extension
> of the segmented memory concept.

I think intel's messy segmented memory model is quite a hack.  At least
with the 386 in protected mode you could treat memory as flat (except
for that hole at 640 to 1024k, but you could just start at 1M and forget
about it).  With PAE now you are back to having segments and mapping and
such going on again.  Having done a bit mf programing at the OS level on
a 486, I sure felt like intel's memory segments were a hack, which even
made the pagetables in protected mode somewhat messy to create.