Re: Do I need 64Bit if RAM is more than 4 GB?

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 05:59 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@kinzesberg.de> writes:

[snip]

> You need 64bit address space inside the kernel. I386 has some hacks to
> make this work up to 64GB ram on some hardware and I don't know if
> amd64 cpus and motherboards can work the same way. The extra work
> needed for the hacks makes this slower though.

I'd say "hack" is a strong word for PAE, which is just an extension
of the segmented memory concept.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"In America, only the successful writer is important, in France
all writers are important, in England no writer is important, and
in Australia you have to explain what a writer is."
Geoffrey Cottrell