Re: Success report: installing pure64 on a dell poweredge 1850

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 11:25 +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:

> This indeed changes quiet a few things.

Yes, but the 1.8 GHz Opteron is apparently still faster than the 2.8 GHz
Nocona.  Rather than a 'my cpu is faster than yours' "pissing contest",
I'd like to see a WHY one cpu is faster than the other discussion.

It must be mainly due to the thing about how the Nocona isn't really
fully 64 bits wide all the way through the chip...  IIRC...?  Is that
correct?  What other factors are there in this sort of comparison?  (I'm
a sophmore CS student.)

--
    Karl Hegbloom
(o_  mailto:hegbloom@pdx.edu