Re: Success report: installing pure64 on a dell poweredge 1850

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:32:43AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 23:16 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> > Apparently the 2.8GHz nocona is slower than the 1.8GHz Opteron.
>
> Intel got a lot of "DEC" engineers when it bought the Alpha from
> Compaq.  Maybe they couldn't stand the thought of working for The
> Evil Empire, and joined the Rebellion?

 Does gcc support -m64 -march=pentium4?  Maybe that would help.  Code tuned
for an Opteron might well be dog-slow on Nocona.  I noticed that most of the
benchmarks were faster on the nocona with -m32 instead of 64.  The LU
decomposition was almost a factor of 2, and that's not really a synthetic
benchmark!

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)