Re: An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:39:02AM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:
> If you do get an Athlon64 based system, be careful about chipsets.  The
> Nvidia nForce chipset isn't completely supported by the kernel as yet
> and there are APIC issues.  I've got one of these, and I have to boot
> with noapic for it to work (it's fine otherwise though).  The VIA KT800
> Chipset is reportedly fine though.  There isn't much to choose between
> them on performance or features.

   On paper, the nForce is slower, as it has a 600MHz HT bus, compared
to the 800MHz HT bus on the VIA. The benchmarks I've seen seem to
indicate that it's not noticeable in most circumstances.

> Most mobos seem to come with the Broadcom NIC, currently not supported
> in the i386 installation kernels because of GPL incompatability issues
> with the tg3 driver.  You may need to go through some grief getting
> Debian installed.

   Just as a note -- the ASUS K8V Deluxe (not the SE) has a 3Com 940
NIC on it, which works fine. The SE has the Marvell/Broadcom NIC.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
      --- What's a Nazgûl like you doing in a place like this? ---