An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

Hello,

The case is simple.  I need to buy an AMD64 machine to serve as my
workstation and for (free) software development.  But I've never had
such machine so I am rather reluctant with "just picking" some hardware
that "seems to right."  I am mainly concerned w/ hardware support in
Debian for AMD64 hardware (perypherials including) and possible problems
that might come up with it. [*]

So, the question is:

	What would you suggest to buy as a complete AMD64 machine?

The more details you could give (so that I could check whether my store
has this hardware) - the better.  Altough I can spend reasonable amount
of money on that machine - I don't need things like more than one CPU,
Hyperspace-3d graphics accelleration (altough I might play Quake or
UT once in a while... ;-) or a HDTV tuner...

But speaking seriously - I'll be very thankful for any suggestions,
especially if they could include informations about expected Debian
compatibility w/ specific hardware and possible pitfails.

Good URLs, RTFMs and advices are welcome as always.

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

[*] I have (very bad) experiences w/ newish sparcs Blade 150 which come
w/ graphic card that doesn't even work in textmode (and you're forced to
use slow-as-hell on-board card) that took me 2 weeks to install Linux
on, and I am extremly happy that I've just managed to install Debian on
an old PPC (Power Mac 4400/Tansania) after only 3 days (I had to use
Woody floppies, brr...).  So, because I *have* control currently of what
AMD64 machine I buy, I would want to avoid such headaches and really get
a robust workstation, that I'll be happy with, by carefuly choosing
what I buy.

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski      <gadek@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux           http://www.debian.org