Re: An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

On Wed 30 Jun Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> 	What would you suggest to buy as a complete AMD64 machine?

If you do get an Athlon64 based system, be careful about chipsets.  The
Nvidia nForce chipset isn't completely supported by the kernel as yet
and there are APIC issues.  I've got one of these, and I have to boot
with noapic for it to work (it's fine otherwise though).  The VIA KT800
Chipset is reportedly fine though.  There isn't much to choose between
them on performance or features.

There are reportedly problems with memory compatibility and some AMD64
Mobos[1].  Seems unlikely, but there you go.

Most mobos seem to come with the Broadcom NIC, currently not supported
in the i386 installation kernels because of GPL incompatability issues
with the tg3 driver.  You may need to go through some grief getting
Debian installed.

Cheers,

Doug.

[1] http://www17.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040112/index.html

--
  http://adju.st/   | "It's like a pair of eyes. You're looking
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | at the umlaut, and it's looking at you."