installation-report

(Please cc me on replies, I'm not on the list.)

LS,

Last weekend I tried to install debian amd64 (pure64) using a
debian-installer image from alioth. Initially I tried the netinst image
from 20040621, but this one failed altogether (no lvm2). Then I tried the
netboot image from 20040625 which did work, but had a few rough edges.
Notably I could not boot into my XP installation from grub.

Today I tried the netboot and netinst images from 20040628.
First the netinst. That one had trouble detecting my NIC, which is weird,
since the netboot of the same date does detect it correctly. It does
detect my SATA hdd (which the current i386-di does not!), but during
partitioning I got a message claiming root on LVM does not work. A few
messages on debian-boot about a week ago lead me to believe this should
work now, so I was a little surprised to see this message. After putting
root directly on the hdd everything continued... until the point I started
installing the base-system. There it failed due to lvm2 being unable to
install.

Next netboot. That one does detect my NIC (using sk98lin) but has to get a
manual intervention on the SATA-controler (sata_via). Weird.
This one does install the base-system, and appears (at first glance) to
succeed in installing grub ok. Reboot ok, login into the new system is ok
and it is usable after finishing the setup.
Unfortunately trying to boot into other installations on this machine
proved to be impossible. The only detected installation is one of 2 (!)
other debian installs on this disk, the XP installation isn't even found
(i386-di has done this ok since around beta4 IIRC). Worse, the one
detected install can't even boot due to image-problems. That install
worked last weekend and I haven't changed anything about that one since.
I recovered from it with a 20040628 di-image for i386 that does detect all
OSs installed and lets them boot correctly.

My system is a homebrew and based on a Asus K8V SE Deluxe with a A64
3200+ and a 200G Seagate 7200.7 SATA disk.

One last remark. The link for the netinst image on
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ports-status doesn't work. It
points to some sid-amd64-cdrom.iso that does not exist.

HTH,
Thomas
--

	The philosophy called individualism is a philosophy of social
	cooperation and the progressive intensification of the social nexus.