Re: Silicon Image SATA?

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:28 +0200, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> "Harald Dunkel" <harald.dunkel@t-online.de> writes:
>
>    sata_sil is on the current Sarge netinst CD for i386, but AFAIK
>    this is pretty new. Anyway, it doesn't help: After loading sata_sil
>    the partitioning menu still does not show any disks.
>
> Have you tried autodetecting hardware after modprobing sata_sil?
> This worked for me. I used the Debian installer version tc1 on a
> dual Opteron with a Tyan Thunder K8S Pro (S2882) board.
>
> Unfortunately I could not finish the installation. I got random
> crashes. Now I am running memtest, watch the error logs and wait
> for the technician.
>
> Does anybody have an S2882 board with less than 4GB memory
> installed?
>
> Does anybody know something about the ``up to 4GB DRAM system
> unstable issue'' that Tyan fixed in a recent bios version
> (http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2882.html) ?

I don't know about the problem, but I have a Tyan Thunder K8S Pro S2882
with 2G of RAM and four WD SATA drives.  It has been rock solid for a
few months now (currently 48 days uptime on a 2.6.6 kernel).  It is used
as a database server, but admittedly it has not been heavily stressed
for most of that time.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
              How many things I can do without! -- Socrates