Re: debian install LiveCD for AMD64?

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:46:53PM -0700, Toshikazu Aiyama, Ph.D. wrote:

>    Thank you for your sharing thought.  I do not understand "can't
> properly install pure64 w/o 64bit support, not the normal way".  If
> possible could your elaborate your statement further?

During the installation alot of programs will be run using that
kernel.  Things like dpkg, shell scripts and so on.  Those are
all 64bit, so you a kernel that supports 64bit.

If you (c)debootstrap using a 32bit kernel it will not work
either and get some weird message as "Can't install root" or
something.  I believe that one is when trying to run MAKEDEV.

Kurt