Re: AMD64 Status Update -- And Future Directions

* C. Scott Ananian <cananian@lesser-magoo.csail.mit.edu> [040213 20:20]:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
>
> > Since we now have a pure-amd64 port of Debian that installs in /lib,
> > another possibility -- and a simple one at that -- would be to have dpkg
> > map /lib of _i386.deb's into /lib/i386/.  This would be easily done by
> > creating a tree of symlinks somewhere in /var and just untarring the
> > package there.
>
> Wouldn't a better idea be to map /lib of *all* packages into /lib-${arch},
> and then simply create /lib -> /lib-i386 and /lib64 -> /lib-amd64
> symlinks?  That way you are compliant with the various filesystem
> standards.

You will find that, people will complain that /lib-${arch} is ugly.  It
will be hard to pass throng the masses even if it is the best solution
:)

> > files for /bin, etc). And as an added bonus it introduces extra breakage
> > in binary-only software from 3rd parties (dlopen("/lib/..."), other
> > binary data in /lib, etc). ...hmm...
>
> No, as long as you adhere to the filesystem standards, binary-only
> software won't break.  That's what the standards are there for.

Just yesterday on IRC I read a discussion on #debian-devel that accused
the rest of the world as being wrong and stupid.

You will break compatibility for something.  Either binaries that look
for 32bit libs in /lib (debian-i386) or those that look for 64bit libs
in /lib (pure-amd64).  Agreed, pure-amd64 does not follow the, so
called, standards.

How about this:
 - map all files in .../lib/ to .../lib/${arch}/
 - change ld.so to pick the right libs at link time

B.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/