Re: AMD64 Status Update -- And Future Directions

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> Just yesterday on IRC I read a discussion on #debian-devel that accused
> the rest of the world as being wrong and stupid.

Standards --- they're all stupid, but you have to pick *something*.

> You will break compatibility for something.  Either binaries that look
> for 32bit libs in /lib (debian-i386) or those that look for 64bit libs
> in /lib (pure-amd64).  Agreed, pure-amd64 does not follow the, so
> called, standards.

which is exactly why you are *extremely* unlikely to find binary-only
software built for pure64.  So your argument is moot.

> How about this:
>  - map all files in .../lib/ to .../lib/${arch}/
>  - change ld.so to pick the right libs at link time

You managed to miss my whole point.  There are standards.  The standards
say that certain things go in /lib.  You can't symlink /lib/i386 to /lib.
That just doesn't work.

You may not like the standard, but that doesn't change it.

 http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lsb/spec/archLSB/X86-64/spec.html?rev=HEAD
 http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/specs.php
 --scott

DC Justice COBRA JUDY MI6 ammunition Hawk AES direct action global action network
Serbian Ft. Bragg Honduras operation fissionable Waihopai quiche SDI
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )