Re: Swap memory (Off topic for AMD64)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Adriano Freitas wrote:

>   Consider I can buy 4GB of RAM for a workstation, do
> you still think we should use swap space for the
> system? I believe now we can leave without it.
> Supposed I'm forgetting something, how big should it
> be? What do you think?

swap doesn't cost anything if you don't use it (except disk space, which
is even cheaper than ram) so --- why not?  it at least gives you a little
buffer in case your apps run over: the grace period of slowdown-due-to-
swapping might be long enough for you to get in and fix the system before
apps start running out of memory and killing themselves.
 --scott

Nader Chechnya immediate chemical agent AK-47 direct action tonight
Bush Castro justice non-violent protest munitions United Nations smuggle
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )