Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

> I think that a multiarch port is a good idea, because it uses the
possibilities
> which
> AMD64 offers. so if there are problems, we have to solve them in a way we
can
> live
> with.
> I prefere a proper solution instead a of quick implementation.

I think there could be a good reason for a "multiarch" (for commercial
software compatability), but I've been waiting more than 3 or so years for
the first 64bit Intel and AMD CPUs and an OS (preferably Linux/*BSD) to be
fully 64bit (including application software) because I want the level of
power it provides.  It reminds me of the days when I couldn't wait for the
80386 CPU (32bit) to come out.

> > > As i know AMD64 can run 32bit apps and 64bit apps on the same time.
would it
> be
> > > also possible in a native 64bit port or only in a multiarch? if it is
only
> > > possible in a multiarch port then i prefere this solution.

As I recall, the Intel/AMD/NEC 80386 CPUs were not only 32bit (in
architecture), but also ran 16bit apps (such as the very first Windows 95
OS) for backwards compatibility.  As I recall, most everybody worked hard to
move from a 16bit architecture to the more powerful 32bit CPUs (commercial
software vendors included), and I'm hoping and expecting the same to happen
now with the new 64bit CPUs/architecture.  So to end this long story, I
personally am not in favor of a "multiarch" especially since I'm not a gamer
nor do I use any commercial software on my Debian Server, and I will feel
rather let-down to see development continue with 32bit software longer than
a reasonable amount of time (not everybody is going to rush out and buy new
hardware, but why should we suffer).  I compile almost all of the software I
use myself, and hope/expect to be able to compile and run in pure 64bit
(especially on a multi-processor platform).

-Robert

> > > Why is a native/pure 64bit port better than a multiarch port?
> >
> > It would avoid some of the problems we have to face with the multiarch
> > port. For that for that a sizable part of Debians infrastructure/tools
> > would have to be "amended".
>
> I think that a multiarch port is a good idea, because it uses the
possibilities
> which
> AMD64 offers. so if there are problems, we have to solve them in a way we
can
> live
> with.
> I prefere a proper solution instead a of quick implementation.
>

> > > As i know AMD64 can run 32bit apps and 64bit apps on the same time.
would it
> be
> > > also possible in a native 64bit port or only in a multiarch? if it is
only
> > > possible in a multiarch port then i prefere this solution.
> >
> > You would only be able to run 32bit apps in the multiarch port.
>
> Most of the Application can't be portet to a 64bit system in a fast way i
think.

> especially third party products. in native 64bit port you can't use them
till
> they
> are portet. Or do anyone think that a proprietary Game (doom, quake, ....)
will