Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

Michael Neuffer <neuffer@neuffer.info> wrote:
> Quoting Markus Spitzli (markus@spitzli.org):
> > Why is a native/pure 64bit port better than a multiarch port?
> It would avoid some of the problems we have to face with the multiarch
> port. For that for that a sizable part of Debians infrastructure/tools
> would have to be "amended".
I think that a multiarch port is a good idea, because it uses the possibilities
AMD64 offers. so if there are problems, we have to solve them in a way we can
I prefere a proper solution instead a of quick implementation.
> > As i know AMD64 can run 32bit apps and 64bit apps on the same time. would it
> > also possible in a native 64bit port or only in a multiarch? if it is only
> > possible in a multiarch port then i prefere this solution.
> You would only be able to run 32bit apps in the multiarch port.
Most of the Application can't be portet to a 64bit system in a fast way i think.

especially third party products. in native 64bit port you can't use them till
are portet. Or do anyone think that a proprietary Game (doom, quake, ....) will
portet? i don't think so.