Architecture questions

Hello,

I have some questions about what the architecture should look like on
AMD64.

On the Alioth environment, I see this:

CHROOT root@arwen:~/port/tar-1.13.92# dpkg --print-architecture
amd64
CHROOT root@arwen:~/port/tar-1.13.92# dpkg-architecture
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=amd64
DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=x86_64
DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=linux
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=x86_64-linux
DEB_HOST_ARCH=amd64
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=x86_64
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=linux
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=x86_64-linux

Now, when I use that environment to build a pure 64-bit dpkg and gcc,
using unpatched packages from sid, I get this result:

PURETEST root@arwen:/port/t/elvis-tiny-1.4# dpkg --print-architecture
dpkg: warning, architecture `x86_64-linux' not in remapping table
x86_64-linux
PURETEST root@arwen:/port/t/elvis-tiny-1.4# dpkg-architecture
dpkg-architecture: warning: Unknown gcc system type x86_64-linux,
falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type  does not match
gcc system type x86_64-linux.
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=x86_64-linux-gnu
DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=
DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=
DEB_HOST_ARCH=x86_64-linux-gnu
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=

So I have these questions:

1. Is the proper Debian architecture amd64 or x86_64-linux?

2. Is the proper GNU architecture x86_64-linux-gnu or x86_64-linux?

3. How do I fix incorrect ideas about GNU architecture if necessary?

One other interesting tidbit: that dpkg that reported an architecture of
x86_64-linux had no problem installing .debs with an arch of amd64, and
in fact, its own package has that arch.

Thanks,
John Goerzen