Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

Tony Hoyle wrote:

| | Any port would be able to run both 64-bit and 32-bit apps with an
| | appropriate kernel.  A 64-bit only port would need to have a separate
|
| Not also that this does not apply to games - because DRM/NVidia/etc have
| a kernel part you can only run 64bit games under a 64bit kernel, no
| matter what libraries you have installed (2d games aside...  frozen
| bubble just needs a 64bit SDL).

Interesting.  I would have thought that given a 64-bit driver (to suit
the 64-bit kernel) - which shouldn't be tricky, at least for cards
supported by XFree DRI - everything would work.  After all, isn't GLX
supposed to be network transparent?  If it can work between different
machines on a network, surely it can work between programmes of
different bittiness on the same machine...

Despite all that, the shortcomings of the 32/64 compatibility in an
amd64 kernel isn't really anything to do with the point I was trying to
make.

Cameron.