Re: X86-64 Contingency plan!

rthoreau@iwon.com writes:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 06:04:48PM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > their a contigency plan in place?
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> I meant about the project as a whole, their could be a massive influx of people.
> is http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-amd64, and the project ready for such growth?
>
> > > What I mean by that is some of the sites I follow are showing that Intel
> > > will release a X86-64 CPU that could be compatible with AMD extensions.
> >
> > If it's compatible, then there's not really much Debian has to do.
> > It should all just work.
>
> I know the project is still in an alpha state, but people have problems with kernel versions,
> libaries, not to mention testing, unstable packages. Do we have an idea of what
> to do if its not a smooth process? I just don't think it will be that easy though.

We clobber them down, bind them to chairs and force them to work on
the port.

If you read and follow the documentation its easy to setup an amd64
system. All you need is some brains and a weekend time. I just saw the
kernel-image-2.4.24_amd64 appear in sid, which, if it works, would
make converting to 64 bit even easier.

> > If it's not compatible, but we don't have any info on the chip, if it
> > even exists, then there's not much we can do about it.
> >
> > Eric
> >
> I agree, Intel needs to be more open to the community, to prepare it for what comes out.
>

> <snip>
>
> Rthoreau

MfG
        Goswin