Re: debian opteron support status query

Goswin,

(see my inlined comments below)

On 23 Jan 2004, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Date: 23 Jan 2004 02:14:33 +0100
> From: Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
> To: Bharath Ramesh <bramesh@vt.edu>
> Cc: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: debian opteron support status query
>
> Bharath Ramesh <bramesh@vt.edu> writes:
>
> > Hi I am interested in knowing the current status of debian support for
> > amd64. The reason I am interested is that in the near future I will be
> > acquiring a dual opteron machine. As I am used to debian I would like to
> > stick to it rather than use other version of Linux. I would also like to
> > know where I can look to find some documentation on how upto date is the
> > document from debian.org/ports/amd64. If someone could point me to good
> > reference I would really appreciate it. I am currently not subscribed to
> > this mailing list would really appreciate it if you could copy the reply
> > to me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bharath
>
> Its work in progress.
>
> Currently you can install and use debian-i386 just fine and install a
> biarch (i386+amd64) mixed system preferably as chroot from there.
>
> If you have some spcial needs its easy to get those working as 64 bit
> but for something like a full desktop system you will have to stick to
> mostly 32 bit packages untill more is ported. But that works fine with
> debian i386 stable.

By degian i386, are you referring to woody?  I recall
seeing varying (perhaps motherboard-dependent?) comments
on which revision of the linux kernel tree to build from
for optimal amd64 functionality in a 32-bit system---would
that be different from the optimal linux kernel tree for
an i386+amd64 biarch system?  Or are you saying to just
simply use whatever kernel is packaged with woody?

Thanks,
Don