Re: Hardware donation

I've been following the whole AMD/Intel thing for quite a while, and I've been
lurking here for a few days. I'm not a kernel programmer, I don't know the
intricacies of debian packaging (or even of gcc), but I am a technical guy,
I've been running debian on my Thinkpad for over a year now and I think that
I know something (even though I have primarily a Windows background). I don't
know if you guys will find the following tidbits useful, but I'll open my
mouth anyway...

Firstly, the following article would indicate that gcc might very much prefer
two processor machines, for some reason:
4P Opteron Kernel Compile Times
http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?ArticleID=1289

Secondly, there are motherboards aimed at workstations (single processors and
AGP, with a variation on the NForce chipset) due soon (July, IIRC).

Thirdly, it seems to me that most AMD64 installations will likely be 2P or 4P
servers until the Athon64 comes out in the early fall (September, IIRC), and
for several months beyond that. I believe that you will find that most of the
current motherboards don't have AGP (including that K8D), which is a given on
a modern consumer-level machine.

(Does that K8D have on-board IDE? I don't see it in the specs. If it does, I
don't know if it does hardware RAID, if it's supported by linux or how much
faster it is versus software RAID. Software RAID worries me because it is a
no-no in the Windows universe.)

Lastly, according to PriceWatch, it seems that the sweet spot for pricing in
drives is at the 120 GB (1.31 GB/$) and the 160 GB (1.38 GB/$) level. If you
want to use RAID, I'd vote for a few 120 GB drives (depending on whether you
want RAID 1 or RAID 5.)

Thoughts?
-d