Re: Hardware donation

* Thom May <thom@positive-internet.com> [030611 14:39]:
> I work for Positive Internet - www.positive-internet.com - and am also
> thom@debian.org .  my boss recently suggested that we should
> donate/buy+host an x86-64 machine for debian porting purposes, so I'm
> wondering what the most useful approach to this is.

That's fantastic!

> Also, what sort of level of hardware would be best? I imagine that a
> low end box with a decent amount of ram and disk space would probably
> be fine?

At this time a lowest of the low end AMD64 box will run you about $2k
USD.  It will include 2 Opteron 240 CPUs, an MSI K8D master mobo, ~ 1G
of RAM, and a modest hard-disk.

That is way more then enough for any porting efforts and we would
appreciate such a donation.

I am not sure how it would be used... and am hoping to start a
discussion on the topic.

Right now I can see three possible uses...

1) used for general development
2) used for automated builds		(would require a lot more space)
3) automated and manual testing

Any (or all) would be fine with me.

Comments,
Bart.