Re: biarch Dependencies/Conflicts

* Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> [031006 04:55]:
> > Presumably there's a standard way that dpkg-buildpackage is supposed to
> > handle this...  A look around google mentioned the 'Package64' directive
> > but that's not working...  I was going to start on getting SDL packaged
> > but there's no documentation I can find about the 64bit extensions (eg.
> > how do you tell it to build libraries twice and create two differently
> > named arch .debs?).
>
> What I normally do is run dpkg-buildpackage twice with different compiler
> settings. The build process is still a bit shaky, my current hack is to
> have a directory with shell scripts named cc, gcc, g++, c++, ld and as
> that call the respective binaries from /usr/bin with the correct arguments.
> dpkg-architecture and dpkg-libinfo rely on gcc to tell them what they are
> running on (but I think this is broken in the latest uploads -- Bart?).

Hmm... it works for me but it only works because I use a wrapper script.

http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/scripts/gcc.bart

It's a precursor to the 'gcc uname' patches that you mentioned existed;
but I was unable to find them.  It seems like a good idea, so I put it
in the wrapper.

IIRC, this patch would cause a different return different strings
depending on the `uname -m` from the kernel.

The end goal of the wrapper was to be able to do the following:

$ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH
amd64
$ linux32 dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH
i386

So essentially I build by running dpkg-buildpackage twice:

$ dpkg-buildpackage && linux32 dpkg-buildpackage

Anyhow, I will review the latest dpkg release, but I think it's working
as intended.

> In order to see what modifications are typically needed, take a look
> at Gerhards 'new' patches from http://people.debian.org/~gt/lib64/.

I've not looked in a while.  Will make sure I am upto date.

Cheers,
Bart.

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/