Re: java 1.7on AlphaServer

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:39:00PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 01:05:20PM +0300, maed@ukr.net wrote:
> > First of all I'm the one shouting for instructions about how to
> > install ble eding edge Debian Sid on alpha
>
> I still have a draft copy of the instructions.  Might be a couple of
> days before I can find time to put them somewhere on the web.
>
> > Also, I found the wiki:
> > https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Debian_Ports_Installation
> > The "Old installation medias (Debian Lenny) - notes by Tom Hogland"
> > seems to be interesting. I hope it will work for alphas....
>
> That just might work.   I recall upgrading alpha systems from Lenny
> by such methods but it is a while ago (maybe two years) since I have
> done that.  I would be wary of the getting the official
> 2.6.32-11~bpo50+1 linux-image for alpha from archive.debian.org.  The
> Alpha linux kernel was in bad shape at that time.  You might be better
> off using the unofficial kernels I compiled for the build daemons some
> time ago, still available at www2.phys.waikato.ac.nz/cree.

I dread the day I have to do an install from scratch :-(.  I've been
living with a cobbled-together configuration of Sid for so long that I
fear I'd be lost without a complete backup.  Fortunately, USB disk
support on Alpha has been pretty solid for at least the past year and a
half, assuming you choose a good card based on the right chipset.

I've been running self-built (from the standard kernel.org source tree)
kernels for many years.  Currently, my Alpha is booted on 3.15.0-rc2,
and a -rc6 kernel is in the queue for testing.  What would be a good
debian-ports kernel package to install?  I ask, because I haven't tried
to run one since 2.6.38-2-alpha-generic was released back in 2011, and
that version is hopelessly incompatible with current runtime libraries
and/or udev.  I'm pretty sure the only reason it's still installed is
because I wanted to retain a reference to the package name(s), and to
remind me what the state of then-current installation media is.

So, in summary, yes, it would be nice to have even a draft copy of the
"install bleeding edge Debian Sid on Alpha" instructions available
somewhere.  I'd say go ahead and post same to "debian-alpha", based on
how small our community is these days, i.e., risk of offending someone
is essentially nil.  Beyond that, the issue of backup copies of the
instructions would then be taken care of rather nicely by the mail list
archive sites :-).

Good to hear from you, Michael.  It has been a while.

--Bob