java 1.7on AlphaServer

Greetings!

I bout the AlphaServer DS25 about year ago (like big-and-heavy hardware :) ). I successfully installed Debian 5.0.10 (the latest Debian for alphas?) in order to run some java software, but installing openjdk7 seems to be a problem.
There is a rather new port (package) called "openjdk-7-jre" witch seems to support alpha systems ( https://packages.debian.org/sid/java/openjdk-7-jre ), but just executing "apt-get install openjdk-7-jre" won`t work - I got the "file  [file] contains ununderstood data member data.tar.xz, giving up" error. I tried to update dpkg itself, but this also failed :( ...
Anyone have the openjdk7 running on alphas? If yes, than what version of Debian? Is there any docs, tutorial or recomendations?

Best regards?
Maed.