Re: ghostscript packages for Alpha

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 01:05:02PM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 08:32:11AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > We'll see how the "ghostscript" build goes today.
>
> Done.  I'll give it a cursory going-over this evening, i.e., try to
> print something.
> (...)

Couldn't wait: logged-in remotely with FreeNX and did a bit of PDF
and PS document viewing.  Life is good :-).

Started a Python build, just for grins and giggles.  It's running the
test suite as I type this, but so far, so good.

Apropos of an earlier comment about the number of packages being held
back, *something* I installed to satisfy build dependencies (I think it
was "libssl-dev", which forced installation of "libssl1.0.0") broke the
dam a bit.  Anyway, the backlog is now down to 59 packages or so, down
from an all-time high of 128.  Various updates to X server packages sent
me looking for a configuration item when "gdm" would no longer start: it
turns out the default value of 10 seconds for "GdmXserverTimeout" (in
"/usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf") has been barely adequate on my Alpha as
far as allowing the X server enough time to start/initialize.  I bumped
the value up to 25 seconds (override defaults by editing
"/etc/gdm/gdm.conf"), and "gdm" now works fine.  Wish I had realized what
was going on all these many months, because all the retries ("gdm" would
*usually* succeed on the second or third try) to make an arbitrary
10-second window have done a good job of "life-testing" the flyback
transformer in my old CRT :-(.

--Bob