Re: ghostscript packages for Alpha

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 12:33:45PM +1200, Michael Cree wrote:
> (...)
> So, I would not be surprised if building ghostscript is still two
> week's away.

ACK.  Current backlog of packages on my system that are upgradable but
being kept back (according to apt-get) currently numbers 120.  Mostly,
if I let "synaptic" do what it proposes to resolve the dependencies, my
Gnome environment would be completely wiped-out.  Since kde4 still
doesn't (or at least it didn't, the last time I checked) work on my
system, I have to rely on "apt-get upgrade" for the time being.  Here's
the typical "apt-get upgrade" output over the past day or so:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  ca-certificates cheese-common empathy-common epiphany-browser-data esound-common
  evince-common evolution-common evolution-data-server-common exim4 fontconfig-config
  foomatic-db-gutenprint fuse-utils gcj-4.4-jre-lib gconf2-common gedit-common git-man
  gnome-core gnome-icon-theme gnome-terminal-data gnome-utils gnome-utils-common
  gtk-doc-tools highlight-common hplip-data kdebase-runtime-data kdelibs5-data
  libatk1.0-data libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6.1 libc6.1-dev libcompress-raw-bzip2-perl
  libcompress-raw-zlib-perl libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdatrie1 libdb4.8
  libdigest-sha1-perl libdrm-dev libdrm-nouveau1a libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libfontconfig1
  libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libfuse2 libgcrypt11 libgcrypt11-dev
  libgdbm3 libgnome2-common libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-common
  libgtkhtml-editor-3.14-common libhtml-parser-perl libice-dev libice6
  libio-compress-perl libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev libkeyutils1 libkms1
  liblocale-gettext-perl liblua5.1-0 libnet-ssleay-perl libnspr4-0d libnss3-1d
  libpam-modules libpam0g libpcap0.8 libpipeline1 libpixman-1-0 libpixman-1-dev
  libpng12-0 libpng12-dev librasqal3 libsdl1.2debian libsm-dev libsm6 libtext-iconv-perl
  libthai0 libtirpc1 libvte-common libwrap0 libwww-perl libx11-6 libx11-dev libx11-xcb1
  libxcursor-dev libxcursor1 libxinerama-dev libxinerama1 libxrandr-dev libxrandr2
  libxrender-dev libxrender1 libxt-dev libxt6 libxxf86vm-dev libxxf86vm1 liferea-data
  locales metacity-common openssl perl perl-base perl-modules pidgin-data printconf
  python python-minimal python-twisted-conch python-twisted-core python-twisted-web
  samba-common totem-coherence totem-common update-notifier-common usb-modeswitch-data
  xsane-common
(...)

If you're NOT seeing something similar, I'd appreciate some help
figuring out what's going on with my Alpha :-).  I figure the dam will
break at some point, because we've seen backlogs before -- just not of
this magnitude in my experience.

As far as "ghostscript", I pulled down the source package yesterday and
got all the build dependencies installed.  Installing the latest "devscripts"
was problematic: a simple "apt-get install devscripts" proposed triggering
the suicidal removal of 53 packages I'm currently using.  I got around
the problem by manually downloading the "Lenny" version of "devscripts"
and installing it with "dpkg -i".  "apt-get upgrade" then upgraded
"devscripts" without any of the drama/carnage I was trying to avoid.
We'll see how the "ghostscript" build goes today.

--Bob